For Reconciling Mission applicants with a sponsoring bishop
We’re delighted that your bishop is looking to sponsor you to participate in the Reconciling Mission programme.
What am I getting into?
Do you long to see the Church being an agent for addressing injustice and effecting greater social reconciliation in your community and society? Do you want to see the local church engaged more deeply with their neighbourhood, building on the gifts and strengths within the community? If you do, then you’ll be eagerly looking forward to participating in the Reconciling Mission programme.
The Reconciling Mission process is focused on resourcing you to understand the Church's mission in the context of God's reconciling work in the world; and to equip you with practical tools to enable your parish(es) to engage deeply with local communities and to play a creative role in moving towards greater reconciliation within society, in partnership with others. It also seeks to enable you, as part of a small group, to share learning and approaches with others in your diocese.
You might find it helpful (and inspiring) to watch some of the videos from previous programme participants.
What am I committing myself to?
By participating in the Reconciling Mission programme, you’ll be committing yourself to the following:
- Meeting with your bishop and your colleagues to clarify hopes and expectations, beforehand;
- Attending the initial week-long residential, held at Launde Abbey, and during this developing a provisional plan for your parish or context with your fellow diocesan group members;
- Meeting regularly with your other group members to discuss implementation and agree next steps; and staying in touch with your bishop or bishop's representative;
- Along with your group members, participating in a series of small online video conferences, with other diocesan groups, at regular intervals over 18 months. These are designed as action learning groups, facilitated by one of RI's facilitators, using a group coaching process;
- Providing a short video update via WhatsApp, prior to each action learning group, using a simple 3-point structure; and
- Participating in two in-person day conferences at Coventry Cathedral (each March, one per year during the programme).
- Ideally, offering feedback to future programme participants, via a short pre-recorded video interview; and
- Where possible, attending occasional gatherings of programme ‘graduates’, to share stories of impact and learning, and ongoing work.
What does the programme look like in detail?
For an overview and detailed description of the programme, please see the latest brochure: Reconciling Mission 2024 brochure.
The brochure covers programme aims and content, key dates and deadlines, the residential week agenda and a full programme schedule. You can also read much of this content online on the Reconciling Mission webpage.
How do I apply?
Once you’ve been selected by your bishop, please read through the pages of this website, and make sure you have downloaded the latest brochure: Reconciling Mission 2024 brochure.